Sunday, September 25, 2011

Yahoo Hackathon

Just yesterday, I had my very first hackathon hosted by Yahoo @ Wozniak Lounge.

The hackathon was to last overnight but obviously i couldnt last THAT long without sleeping and I also had to consider that I have a midterm coming up on Tuesday.

I entered Woz at around 6.15ish and it was totally against what I expected. Normally, Woz lounge is a very clean and organized and prim and proper type of place. This time round, BAM! Laptops and iMacs and desktops all over the room. There was literally insufficient space to move around. I never expected such a huge turnout.

Nevertheless, I saw a familiar face from CS and Math class to I went to ask him if he had any project and if i could join his team. He and 2 other members planned to make a game using python (leveraging pyGame). I thought it was interesting but little did I know what was coming up.

pyGame took forever for me to install and when I tried to run the sample game that utilized pyGame, it said "pyGame module not found". Wasted another 2 hours on it and I was still getting the same error message. Finally, I decided that I did not like this project and left the group (I felt really bad but I din want to waste my night also!).

Then, I started to mess around with Facebook API. I was always curious on how to get data through the Facebook API. Thankfully, I had a small breakthrough in this and managed to get my user id on facebook to show up at least.

At this juncture, Kush entered. The previous week, we had lunch together and decided to implement a game using the Corona SDK. Corona SDK's promotional video was mind-blowing. The physics was so easy to implement that it almost seamed too good to be true. As such, we decided to build using the Corona SDK.

We left the Woz Lounge and came back to my room. (It was around 10pm by now). We started working through the Corona tutorials till around 12+. Confession: Corona SDK has been the easiest-to-use interface and implementation that I have used till date. By 1.30, Kush and I had a partial game running. WE MADE HALF A GAME IN 1 HOUR!!!

Both of us were exhausted and thought that we had done enough work for the night so we decided to go off to bed (and I also din want to stay up till too late as it would mess my system up and I may not be able to prepare well for my midterm on tuesday.)

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment