Sunday, January 2, 2011

Handmade iPad folio - DIY

Recently, I got an iPad and I was rather annoyed by the lack of styles available in the market for the covers/cases to protect it. And when I found the iPad case that I liked, it was overpriced (300 over bucks!).

The problem with most cases are that, they don't really protect well. For those that do, they do not conceal the iPad well enough. However, the most surprising part is that I can't find even a single decent looking case for below 60 bucks. It feels like as though all the manufacturers colluded with each other and overpriced the cases.

Finally, I decided to make my own iPad case. First, I made a few designs on paper. Then, I tried to design one on Solidworks but it did not turn out as I imagined. After all the hassle, I decided to just modify one of my existing folios that I had been bringing to school for ages. It is a rather simple case that allows you to fit your notepad, business cards, loose A4 papers and a pen. As I have the iPad now, the area allocated to keeping the notepad became less useful.

Idea strikes!

Attach 4 iPad 'gripping stuff' at the 4 corners to hold the iPad firmly. (See pictures below if not clear).

Final Product. Took me almost 8 hours to stitch the 4 corners as I had never ever stitched before. 
Different angle

with the iPad switched on.




Bottom right corner. For this corner (and the bottom left corner), I tore apart my old school bag(which i was going to throw away anyway) and cut out some material for this. 

noob stitching.

I decided to use velcro for the top 2 corners. Easy to manage yet holds the ipad firmly. 


without the iPad, it looks rather ugly. I am going to stitch 1 end of the velcro so that they do not come lose. 

My next step will be to stitch one end of the velcro to the folio such so that I will not have to take care of them. 

the other side of the folio. business card holders + A4 paper holder.

from the outside when closed. Conceals the ipad nicely.
Although I am quite satisfied with my cover, there is one major drawback. After stitching everything in place, I still have to cut out a few holes(which I haven't done) so that the speakers/on-off button/volume rock/mute buttons/earphones port/microphone aren't covered. Hopefully, after another hour of trimming and polishing, I will get an industry standard folio (essentially for free as all the parts I had were useless individually and I had gotten them for free anyway).

Before making my own case, I had done a bit of research about the other DIY cases. Check out the links below for cases other people have made on their own.

1.) http://www.themoderndaypirates.com/pirates/2010/06/how-to-make-a-moleskine-ipad-case/

2.) http://www.carrypad.com/2010/04/15/how-to-make-an-ipad-booksafe-case/

No comments:

Post a Comment