Friday, January 7, 2011

First impressions: Mac App Store

MAC APP STORE
Last night (singapore time), Apple released the mac app store. Frankly, there is nothing innovative about it - they have had the music store and iOS app store for ages now. Coming out with a mac app store is a no brainer; they should have released this together with the iOS app store.

UI wise, nothing new - exactly the same as iOS app store. Easy to use and discover apps. I only wonder how long Apple will take to implement the Genius feature for this. Downloading is a single click. And as all software packages on the store are single bundles, they become highperlysuperlyextremely easy to both install and uninstall (just chuck it into the trash).

I have a major qualm though: why didn't Apple implement the mac app store within iTunes? They have all the other stores there and it would make it a lot simpler for me if I could just download mac software within iTunes too. One problem could be because iTunes is available on Windows too and therefore, it may be hard for Apple to maintain two different versions of iTunes.(but think again, I am not sure if it is really THAT hard to maintain 2 different versions - they probably already are maintaing 2 diff versions right now).

I have a second more minor frustration: I will now be downloading a ton of "small" apps and as such, I have more application names to memorize. It would be cool if mac created a separate folder for these "small" single-package apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment