Friday, November 26, 2010

Does our past have anything to say about our future?

Surely no!

Many will not agree with me about this, but for me, every day of your life is a choice for you to live as you like it to be. Everyday of your life is a crossroad. The way you live it will be how you perceive it but most of the time, we don't make any choices about them. And that is a choice by itself. Because we pick ourselves the "default" choice.

So if everyone picks the "default" choice, most of us end up living mediocre lives. From this perspective then, where no conscious choices are made, your past does tell about your future as we can predict the "default" choices.

But what makes the difference is when people decide to live their life differently. For example, I used to be a very sports kind of person till grade 6. Everyday of the week, I would be participating in some CCA at school and every other week, I would be attending some competition. In other words, I completely neglected my studies and never bothered about my grades. Nevertheless, I always expected to get high grades for every test and for most of the time, I did. Then came the PSLE(a nationwide standardized exam in Singapore taken by all 6th Graders). Typically, a smart student is expected to score 250/300 and above and the really smart ones expect 265 onwards. And as you can guess, I always thought I was the "creme de la creme" and so when I got 237, my mind was just blown. That day, I knew I had to change my lifestyle. Success doesn't come by taking any shortcut. It was then that I decided to do really well for my studies and for the most part of it, I think I have - even though I was never entirely satisfied with my performance.

However here is the key, previously, with a score of 237, any academician would expect me to do not-so-well in life. And if someone were to make a prediction now, they will say I will do well. Not only an academician will say that, even my friends will say that.

The only difference for me really was to make that decision after my PSLE. Similarly, you may predict that a university dropout will do not-so-well in life but if you look at many of the billionaires today, they were *actually* all dropouts from one college or another.

How you spent your past really has nothing to say about how you are going to do in future because all it takes to change that future is The Choice.

Make that choice and change your future now.

PS: sorry for not posting for such a long time. kind of busy these days with college essays and post-school trauma.

No comments:

Post a Comment